[lit-ideas] Re: Purpose of the "Literature and Ideas" List with the Digest an...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 07:51:29 EDT

I propose a thorough chapter by chapter examination and discussion of
Heideggar's "Being and Time, w/ all participating philosophers keeping in mind
that
any new thoughts they have on the subject might be seen by other people who
have access to the web.  The last thing we want to use the internet for is
exchange of new ideas.

I further propose a chapter by chapter examination of War and Peace for the
literary members of the list, w/ the above stated conditions.

Or, we could start with "It was a dark and stormy night...."

Julie Krueger
(oh my god this might be read on the archives by someone.  perhaps I  should
assume a new identity.  Sponge Bob!)

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Purpose of the
"Literature and Ideas" List with the  Digest and Archive  Date: 7/29/06 5:28:51
AM
Central Daylight Time  From: _frances.kelly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:frances.kelly@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
, _ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Frances with thanks to listers...

This  online list called "Literature and Ideas" is seemingly free and
open to the  internet public at large who wish to enter its portal, and
with little invite  or limit. There is clearly however a stated
guideline of rules for this list  as issued by its owners and managers.
The purpose of the list, in regard to  those rules relevant or
pertinent to my interests and as understood in rough  summary by me, is
that it should be used responsibly as a learned forum to  discuss
topical ideas in relation to "published" literary writings, where  such
literature is deemed to be in the form of both fictional  and
nonfictional works. The broad literary ideas under discussion  could
presumably be "within" the writings or "about" the writings,  where
such writings are held to variously be statements in texts  or
narratives in documents or discourses in manuscripts.

Many of the  messages posted however often appear atopical and even
trivial or silly to  me. This makes the storage of messages in the list
archive bulky, and the  retrieval of messages from the list archive for
reasons of say research very  cumbersome. This thorny issue no doubt
has likely surfaced here in the past  before my time, but in light of
recent flows it may justify  resurrection.

Without suggesting any kind of censored policing of  "appropriate"
messages posted to the list, some sort of voluntary process  or
protocol might nonetheless now be warranted, at least to serve  the
interests of those listers who may wish to follow a somewhat  narrower
threaded path when discussing topical subjects or special themes  in
keeping with the stated purpose of the list as to what is  acceptable.
This list after all is a valued resource, and ought not be  disused or
abused or misused, for reasons that for example would be  clearly
outside either the general purpose of the list or any special topic  on
the list that is trying to stay within that purpose.

My fear is  that my stance in this regard may be overstating the case,

but then  perhaps not. In any event, any suggestion or correction to
this position  would be welcome. My motive here is not to bypass or
overstep the list  authorities, but to be better informed by listers
who might share my  particular scholarly interests in "sign" theory.
Those interests partly  include the comparison of angloamerican
philology and semiotics with  francoeuropean semiology and
structuralism, and the application of such  "sign" theory to the field
of "literature" both as humanal art in the  fictional and philosophic
manner, and as nonart in the technical or  scientific manner. Other
lists such as the Dewey List and the Peirce List and  the Aesthetics
List do of course provide some satisfaction.

Another  problem is whether learned scholars in academia are prepared
to share their  coveted ideas in websites on the internet that are
accessed virtually at will  by the public; but that is a further topic,
and there is certainly enough in  this present message to discuss.

Frances Kelly, City of  Toronto