[lit-ideas] Re: Pubs

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:57:08 -0700

When I responded to Walter's call for advice I mentioned that all was
not well in the British pub world.  Here is a fuller explanation:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2041086,00.html

I shall be joining the boycott.  You will not find me in ANY pub in
Lewes during the coming weeks.

I think you can count on everybody on the list's joining you. Solidarity forever! (But wait--where's Eric?)

The Lewes Arms has apparently been taken over by Greene King, which seems to be
a giant brewer which owns pubs and inns across England; the Starbucks of beer,
so to speak. The Turf, in Oxford, which I recommended earlier, is now a Greene
King establishment although it continues to get good reviews.

Robert Paul,
passing a rainy afternoon
in the refurbished Richard III,
near Wankers Corners, OR