[lit-ideas] Prologue to A Nice Knock-Down Argument

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:55:14 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/13/2013 11:40:59 P.M. UTC-02,  profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx
writes:
Ellsworth Prouty Conkle was the provocation  this missive.  ...  I ask for
no other." I'd like to find a  copy.  The web only gives me E. P. Conkle,
"Prologue to Glory."

---  Surely as per subject-line, alla Alice.

If glory = a nice knock-down  argument.

What is, for Humpty, the meaning of the line, in the  anthem,

"send him victorious, happy and GLORIOUS".

In "The Singing  Bpurgeois", there is this apt reference to 'glorious'

"The traditional  court composer's commemoration of a victory would be a
work like Handel's  'Dettingen Te Deum', written to celebrate the fortunate
outcome of the last  great charge in British history led by the king himself,
at the battle of  Dettingen in 1743 (his horse having accidentally bolted in
the direction of the  enemy). Now, Handel also had an alternative means of
response to national  conflict and chose to celebrate the victory over the
forces of feudalism at  Culloden, in an oratorio, Judas Maccabeus (1746).
Prince Charlie was the  grandson of the dethroned monarch James II, and the
focal point of pro-Stuart  sympathy among the aristocracy."

"The true patriot was called upon to reject feudalism in the cause of
establishing a middle-class democracy. It is ironic that an old song
revitalized
 for the cause in the 1740s, 'God Save the King', probably originally
referred to  'the king over the water' (still suggested by 'Send him
victorious',
and in an  early version the epithet 'true-born')."

Etc.

Cheers,

Speranza