[lit-ideas] Re: Problem solving and war

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:39:17 -0600

LH:
Maybe one of the reasons I appreciate JL more than most of the others on Lit-Ideas is that he values the meanings of words.<<

The implicature being that most posters to Lit-Ideas do not value the meanings of words. Surely, Lawrence, you don't mean that. Surely, even if you abjure the metaphor at the heart of every word -- and I've noticed you don't -- but even if you think you do, surely you're not holding yourself up as the epitome of no-nonsense meaningfulness.

If we use a word we ought to intend something by it and our intention ought to grow out of its meaning, its tradition, how it has been used in the past.<<

So the word 'silly', how should it be used? "The word's considerable sense development moved from "blessed" to "pious," to "innocent" (1200), to "harmless," to "pitiable" (c.1280), to "weak" (c.1300), to "feeble in mind, lacking in reason, foolish" (1576). Further tendency toward "stunned, dazed as by a blow" (1886) in knocked silly, etc." http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=silly&searchmode=none

JL insists 'silly' should be used to mean "holy". I agree since most holy people act in ways thought silly by the serious-minded world. Think how silly Jesus was: "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you." [Luke 6: 27--31] That Jesus was one silly God, I'm sure you'll agree.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>