[lit-ideas] Pregnant Sudanese woman sentenced to death for apostasy

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas " <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 11:35:00 -0700

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/05/15/pregnant-sudanese-woman-sentenced-to
-death-for-apostasy/

This is a bit of a coincidence.  I'm reading about the Reconquest in Spain
which leads up to the Inquisition and here we see part of the Islamic world
where the Spanish Inquisitors were in the 14th and 15th centuries.

But just as there is no law against stupidity, neither is there any world
law against new "Inquisitions."  After all it doesn't seem as though the
Sudanese are going out looking for violators.  There is no Torquemada
amongst them as far as I know.  Of course this woman has four days to accept
Islam.  Many of the Jews converted to Christianity during the Spanish
inquisition as well and were called "Conversos."

If this woman converts and becomes a Conversa then interest will probably
die, but if she refuses and is sentenced to death, world interest will
continue.   If she is actually executed, I'm sure other mostly non-Islamic
nations will want to take some sort of action against Sudan - probably not
military.

We have long known that Islamic Fundamentalism wants to revert the modern
Islamic world to what existed in the 8th century.  For them to believe that
isn't very threatening.  Lots of people believe all sorts of things.  But
for any of them to act upon those believes is, or can be with enough
attention, very threatening.

Lawrence