[lit-ideas] Re: Popper and Grice on 'knowledge'

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:17:01 +0100

It seems to me that Grice is confused about the Principle of Sufficient
Reason, and might have done well to read Schopenhauer. The Principle of
Sufficient Reason appears as causality in the physical world, e.g. my
pushing the door causes it to open. The PRS does NOT appear as causality in
the worlds of beliefs; there a belief is justified if there is sufficient
ground for holding it, whatever the origin of the belief. In order to say
that I know that the Earth revolves around the sun, I need not demonstrate
that my belief is caused by the Earth revolving around the Sun, as opposed
to learning it at school. It's enough to understand the reasoning that lead
the astronomers to believe that it is so.

O.K.