[lit-ideas] Re: Popper and Grice: The Divide

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 07:23:25 +0000 (UTC)

David responds to the opening gambit of JLS' latest with

Funny.>
What may be just as funny is that nowhere in that post does JLS answer the
question of authenticity.
This question arises from something JLS previously wrote:-
Popper never liked 'senses' and found that philosophers who focused on
'senses' were wasting HIS time ("never mind if they waste their own"). >
I have previously invited JLS to give a source for the quoted words "never mind
if they waste their own". It is funny that several posts later he still has not
done so.

Of course, my sense of "funny" may be different here to David's, but that's no
reason to dislike it.
DL

On Monday, 24 August 2015, 5:00, David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Aug 23, 2015, at 2:20 PM, (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
wrote:

In a message dated 8/23/2015 3:49:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxx.uk_ (mailto:donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx)  was
wondering about
certain quoted material by Popper, and provides in turn an  illuminating
account of what I see as the differences between him (Popper, that  is, not
McEvoy) and Grice.

Popper was born in 1902; Grice in 1913, so there was a generational gap, as
they were. Since they were born one on an island (Grice) and the other in
a  continent, there is a continental divide, too.

Funny.

Unlike the movie:
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=continental+divide&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

David Ritchie,