[lit-ideas] Re: Poems in Two Accents

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:44:39 -0700

On Oct 25, 2009, at 4:39 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

I like.

Mike

That bears repeating, I think. It's been quite the weekend for finding things. Quite by accident I found this fellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQNSndjshRU

And then his performance of "A Man's a Man for a' That" led me to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOBcFt5tevY

which suggests there was a television program devoted to Burns' umpteenth birthday, which was celebrated this year, and that this Paolo Numpty could be good if only he could figure out what to sing. Be warned, on other videos he sings versions of American songs and his ear is for accents is not sound. But there's a voice of some sort there.

J. sent me a note to say that I ought to look up Florence Foster Jenkins. I did. She's the McGonagall of opera. Here she is, with cats. Who could not love cats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtf2Q4yyuJ0

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon