[lit-ideas] Plato's Mistake

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:57:42 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 9/4/2013 1:08:25 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
My theory of choice is that machines  can't think
because they are incapable of making a mistake. The true mark of  thought
on this
view is fallibility and machines ain't got it. Machines can  be
dysfunctional or
broken, but they are incapable of making a mistake. Hence  they cannot
think.

---

R. Paul was elaborating on what counts as a 'mistake'.

Oddly, Austin speaks of 'uptake', which is similar, only opposite.

When discussing things like

"I hereby do marry you" (he later found out matrimony is not performative
in Syria)

or -- a better example of his, "I bet you $5 she's not in" --

there is a need for 'uptake', i.e. understanding.

Similarly, then, mistake is misunderstanding.

---

It may be argued that etymologically, a mistake is STILL a 'take'.

'mistake' seems 'value-oriented' in that Walter O. is right that there is
an element of rule-following that computers can do but won't.

-- or perhaps may not do yet will.

Or something.

Cheers,

Speranza

----

* I'm reading a book on the history of cabaret and find a reference to a
New York venue, "Plato's retreat" -- hence the title.