[lit-ideas] Re: Physics, Philosophy, Turkey, Urban Myth

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:47:47 -0500

I'll take a shot at this but no guarantees of scientific accuracy.  I think
"resting" is a way for the proteins to congeal (close enough, huh?).  The
same thing is done for a lasagna.  If you take a lasagna straight out of
the oven and serve it, it will fall apart on you.  Not so bad, it's piping
hot, I rather prefer it that way.  But, the tradeoff is a mass of cheese
and tomato sauce that doesn't look like a lasagna.  On the other hand, if
the lasagna sits a while (10 minutes or so, not long), when you slice it,
you'll have nice squares that look like lasagna, and you could decorate it
with parsley, sorry, cilantro.  Bread and pie don't improve on sitting
(limited protein).  They're best right out of the oven, in my opinion.  I
would imagine a turkey straight from the oven would cut more cleanly than a
lasagna straight out of the oven.  I suspect though, that nobody's ever cut
a turkey straight from the oven and this is all urban legend to cover up
for all the mayhem that goes on in the kitchen in trying to get the feast
on the table, as Julie says.  Part of the worry/adrenaline ritual too.
Thanksgiving and Christmas wouldn't be the same without it.  Alton Brown on
the Food Channel ("Good Eats") is a food technologist.  He explains things
like osmotic pressure and other chemistry that ultimately is what cooking
is.  He's a little too simple, but as close to food technology as
television gets.  Any more complicated and nobody would watch it.  There's
also Unwrapped, how they manufacture candy and chips, also very simplified.

Andy Amago