[lit-ideas] Re: Philo texts?

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 18:33:05 -0600

One reason I lost the texts that I had, Mike, is that I so disliked the
idea of reading "about" philosophy.  I just wanted to read the philosophers
themselves -- and I did... I read a lot of Plato, Aristotle, Descartes,
Hegel, Heidegger, not much of Witt, some Sartre, loved Derrida, liked
Lacan, read Kant, cursed the German language, and so forth.  The thing I
was missing in all of that was some sort of thread of continuity in terms
of the development of ideas and attitudes historically... and there are a
number of major philosophers whose work I've only glanced at, if that.  I'm
ready to go back and look at an overview perspective.  If I read an
original work by a philosopher a day for the rest of my life I couldn't
start with the pre-Socratics and work to the present.  And it disheartens
me to realize I'm only thinking about Western philosophy.

I love the way you posed your question in terms of the history of questions!

Julie Campbell
Julie's Music & Language Studio
1215 W. Worley
Columbia, MO  65203