[lit-ideas] Re: Pertaining to the U.S. Electoral College

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 20:30:01 -0800

David,

I don't know what percentage of the California electorate voted, probably less than 79%. But I did notice that more Californians voted for Trump than every state except two, Florida and Texas. Not that this means anything, just something I noticed.

On something I heard or read, an irate progressive thought that perhaps it was time that progressives took a different view about guns and started arming themselves. After all, they outnumber conservatives. Of course conservatives have had more time to practice and are probably better shots. :-)

I overheard someone saying that Obama had gotten something started so that he could declare martial law. Do you know anything about that? Was that when he feared the Trump people would be sore losers and riot? Or more recently? I found this site that shows how Obama could stop Trump from being president by the use of martial law, but I think it is just someone's wishful thinking and not really anything Obama would do.

Lawrence

On 11/15/2016 4:51 PM, david ritchie wrote:

*3) *Here is a site that shows how the nations of the world elect their leaders: *https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_by_country *While it was said someplace that I shouldn't consider Germany in this regard, I have to consider them this one last time inasmuch as this site lists Germany's means for selecting its leader as an "*Electoral College." *

I’m generally a fan of Wikipedia but there should be at least a footnote here explaining that “Monarchy” does not reveal how these nations select their leaders. There may be an exception I’m overlooking but generally Kings and Queens in Europe are not leaders in the sense of running governments.

David Ritchie,
state where 79% of the electorate voted.