[lit-ideas] Perioecics and Gurkhas

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 09:54:28 -0800

Cartledge, op. cit., p 153-4

"In either 458 or 457, Sparta led a Peloponnesian League army across the
Isthmus of Corinth into central Greece  . . . although the Spartans did
defeat the Athenians and their allies at Tanagra, it was too close a victory
for them to be able to exploit it politically, and they were relieved enough
to be allowed to return unmolested to their Peloponnesian home.

"This was the moment, I believe, when the Spartans decided, no doubt with
considerable misgivings, to make a major change in their army organization.
The earthquake had caused severe loss of Spartan life.  Two Perioecic towns
in Messenia had joined the Helot revolt.  The Battle of Tanagra had been too
close for comfort.  These three facts, I suggest, prompted the Spartans to
take the step of incorporating Perioecic hoplites in the regular Spartan
regiments, in order both to ensure Perioecic loyalty and,. More important
still, to boost Sparta's flagging citizen numbers.  This was not quite like
incorporating Nepalese gurkhas into a regular regiment of the British army
under the Raj, but it was still a pretty major breach of the Greek principle
of the citizen militia army.  For although the Perioeci could be called
'Lacedaemonians', just like the Spartans, they were not citizens on equal
terms with the Spartans since they had not gone through the socializing
discipline of the Agoge or been elected to a dining group. . . ."

I once read a history of the Gurkhas.  At the time the main source of income
in those Nepalese villages was the money sent home by the Gurkhas.   I can
understand why JL isn't fond of the Gurkhas, but the British are, or at
least were (I don't know about now), and the Gurkhas loved to fight.  It was
something like a marriage made in heaven, or so the author of that history I
read implied.  Being a Marine I have been interested in elite fighting
forces - what makes them tick, how effective they are, their training,
morale, etc.  The Gurkhas were throughout most of their history (I say
"most" because I am not familiar with their recent history) were such a
force, as was the French Foreign Legion, and the smaller units such as the
SAS, the Navy Seals, etc.

But the idea of using mercenaries as a matter of policy is interesting, and
one is tempted to relate such a practice to an imperial or national decline.
The Romans employed mercenaries during the waning years of their empire.
But I don't see the use of the Gurkhas by the British in that category.  The
British intended to use native forces to govern India and the Gurkhas were
looking for work.  The Gurkhas though have continued fighting for the
British and distinguished themselves or disgraced themselves, depending upon
who you listen to, as recently as  the Falklands War.  Does the continued
use of the Gurkhas represent a British decline of some sort?  I don't think
so.

Could the U.S. ever decide to hire mercenaries.  I'm aware that some people
call the Blackwater types mercenaries, and maybe in a sense they are, but
their numbers are small and they are used for security much as their
equivalent is in the United States - to protect VIPs and celebrities.  I am
referring to utilizing a force like the Gurkhas.  I can't envision the steps
necessary to do that.

On the other hand, we have an ongoing policy of accepting our Perioecics
into our military forces.  If you are from some other country and want
citizenship, then join our military and we will give it to you.   Our
military has since WWII been an important step by which 2nd class citizens
can advance to 1st class status.  I have seen no evidence that this practice
has weakened our military forces in any way, quite the contrary, but the
peculiar training and fighting principles of the Spartans were not readily
transferred; so this practice of accepting Perioecics into their army did
represent a decline - it at least meant that they had taken a step down from
the military competence evinced by Leonidas' 300.

Lawrence