[lit-ideas] Re: Paying the bills

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:56:47 -0700

Plus ca change. I remember exactly this kind of "woe, woe and thrice woe" (Frankie Howerd reference) moan when first I came to this land, except back then the folk who were going to suck the life blood or money out of America were the Japanese, who then owned everything.

Sometimes I wonder whether, having witnessed the collapse of the Berlin wall, Andreas, has become a seeker out of collapses, a collapses addict?

I can't see how one would tell whether this one will get a lot worse or, like the Japanese thing, blow over. I note that the newspapers are carefully hedging their bets, telling everyone to stay calm while muttering about the distinct absence of well-marked exits, common folk for the use of.

David Ritchie
where red stands for hardiness and valor, white for purity and innocence and blue for vigilance