[lit-ideas] Pakistan, Obama, and more War?

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas@Freelists. Org" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 18:00:59 +0700

An interesting article giving grudging support for Obama, from an
unlikely source, Hitchens.

http://www.slate.com/id/2200134

From the final paragraph of the article:

"Barack Obama has, if anything, been the more militant of the two
presidential candidates in stressing the danger here [i.e. Pakistan]
and the need to act without too much sentiment about our so-called
Islamabad ally. He began using this rhetoric when it was much simpler
to counterpose the "good" war in Afghanistan with the "bad" one in
Iraq. Never mind that now; he is committed in advance to a serious
projection of American power into the heartland of our deadliest
enemy. And that, I think, is another reason why so many people are
reluctant to employ truthful descriptions for the emerging
Afghan-Pakistan confrontation: American liberals can't quite face the
fact that if their man does win in November, and if he has meant a
single serious word he's ever said, it means more war, and more bitter
and protracted war at that—not less."

Sincerely,

Phil Enns