[lit-ideas] Re: Opening lines

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 17:34:24 +0100

>I just finished a novel by someone called Harlan Coben
>that I had to pinch my way through. Read a piece on him
>in some magazine: he's one of those millionaire best-selling
>authors who's under the media's radar screen. (There are at
>least two of them, I guess.)  Anyway, by page 10 I figured
>there'd be the hint of one of his "page-turning, twisting plots,"
>but no. Cutesy generic characters

so, it's one of his Myron Bolitar books.  -- oh yes, I have read _Promise
Me_.  The plot twist, as I recall it, comes pretty near the end.  He's
(I'd have thought) better known for his characters, or at least, for
Myron.  Well... I have liked some of the series, they do vary in quality,
the earlier ones tend to be better.
 It's stuck in a formulaic/character  groove (I bet 'formulaic' was redundant),
and
he knows it.  But I'd say he's better than a lot of people out there
and he's never, I think, simply copied whole passages between
books (Patricia Cornwell) or served up two virtually identical
stinkers (John Grisham).

>(It's 105 degrees for what feels like te 105th day in a row)

of course it's nothing like that here, but it *is* hot and very humid,
grey-skied,
yet more rain on the way...

Judy Evans, Cardiff