[lit-ideas] One more try.

  • From: JulieReneB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:11:14 EDT

I couldn't pull up the article from the link I posted, but then doing a
Google News search, I was able to find it again.  It's really an important
piece,
I think.  I've copied & pasted it below so it doesn't get lost  in cyberspace
again (I've no idea whether others gettinng my first post were  able to
access the article or not.)

Jeb's defiance makes case for automatic clemency
Palm Beach Post Editorial
Thursday, July 29, 2004
Gov. Bush is attacking the judiciary with way more than the usual Republican
rhetoric. This time, he's resorted to outright defiance.
The governor couldn't have picked a more revealing way to display his
anti-court venom than by spurning the July 14 opinion of the 1st District Court
 of
Appeal in Tallahassee. The court told the state that it must help felons fill
out a form needed to win back the right to vote after serving prison time.
Rather than follow the court's dictate, Gov. Bush eliminated the form.
That's the kind of inexcusable defiance that makes Florida the focal point
for national anxiety over the upcoming presidential election. Secretary of
State  Glenda Hood, who was appointed by Gov. Bush and reports to him, already
has
gone  too far in defending an indefensible list of nearly 48,000 ex-felons
who may or  may not have been banned from voting. Fueling the conspiracy
theories that Ms.  Hood says are groundless, nearly half the names on the list
belonged to  African-Americans, who tend to vote for Democrats. Fewer than 100
belonged to  Hispanics, who vote more often for Republicans than blacks do.
Both
parties are  making strong appeals to Hispanic voters.
More than 50,000 felons were released from Florida prisons last year. About
85 percent must apply to get clemency. A year ago, the court found that about
125,000 inmates who completed their terms between 1992 and 2001 -- out of as
many as 700,000 -- had not been properly notified of their right to clemency.
 Gov. Bush can't call the appellate court's ruling judicial activism. The
court  didn't make the law; the state did. Here is the wording: "The authorized
agent  (of the state) shall assist the offender in completing these forms...
before the  offender is discharged from supervision." The court "interpreted"
that to mean  the state must "assist the offender."
The governor whined that the form duplicates electronic filing methods and
did away with the form. But the governor's plan doesn't order the Department of
 Correction to help inmates file electronically before they are discharged.
Instead, it promises only that the state will put a notice in the mail. Rather
 than help people as they are about to leave custody, the state proposes
tracking  these transient residents after they leave. Additionally, the state
is
finding  flaws in its central voter database, which lists all Florida voters.
The errors  on that list compounded the difficulty of screening out felons.
The long-term solution is for Floridians to change the state constitution to
automatically restore voting rights of felons. Florida is one of seven
states,  including Mississippi and Alabama, that do not grant automatic
clemency.
State  legislators chose to offer voters an amendment requiring parental notice
of  abortions, not one that would lift the Civil War-era ban on voting rights.
The  ban makes Florida look racist and uninterested in democracy. The
governor's  actions make him appear to be complicit.

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: voter turn-out
correction  Date: 7/29/2004 2:05:55 PM Central Daylight Time  From:
_JulieReneB@xxxxxxxx (mailto:JulieReneB@xxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<<_http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/auto/epaper/editions/thursday/
opinion_1480230145bdb0e300e7_
(http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/auto/epaper/editions/thursday/op
inion_1480230145bdb0e300e7)
.html>>
Sorry.  Between the time I  posted this and  checked it, the link went away,.

Try this  article:
_Florida  Again Faces Disputes Over Elections (washingtonpost.com)_
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22176-2004Jul28.html)

Florida Again Faces  Disputes Over Elections
Recounts,   Missing Records Debated
By Manuel   Roig-Franzia
Washington  Post Staff Writer
Thursday,  July 29,  2004; Page A03
<NITF>MIAMI, July 28 -- Anything sound  familiar

(http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/wpni.technologyarticle;dir=technologynode;dir=
technology;page=article;kw=;ad=ss;pos=ad27;sz=160x600;tile=20;abr=!ie;ord=109
1113225614?)
(http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/wpni.technologyarticle;dir=technologynode;dir=
technology;page=article;kw=;ad=hp;pos=ad24;sz=336x850;tile=20;ab
r=!ie;ord=1091113225614?)
<NITF>Voting rights lawyers are in Tallahassee, one  of the  epicenters of
the
2000 presidential election  convulsions, arguing  about recounts. Florida
civil  rights advocates are seething about  restoring the voting  rights of
felons.
And, in Miami, elections  officials now  find themselves in the uncomfortable
position of  having  to explain why they've lost much of their audit records

from the last big statewide ele
<NITF>"We are no safer than  we were in 2000," said  Lida Rodriguez-Tasseff,
chairman of the  Miami-Dade  Election Reform Coalition, a voting-rights
group.
"We   may have even bigger problems that we don't even know  a
<NITF>Rodriguez-Tasseff's organization unearthed the  latest in  an
increasingly lengthy string of  embarrassments for the Florida  elections
system when it
filed a public-records request this month  with the  Miami-Dade County
elections office asking for the  audits  of votes in the 2002 governor's
election. The
records   were supposed to have been collected by the county's new  $25
million  electronic voting network. The answer the  group received has made
voter
advocates queasy about how  the system will perform in the November
presidential
election: The records were
<NITF>The  group was told that two computer crashes --  the first in May last
year  and the second in November --  erased the records of the 2002 primary
and
general  elections. The group's request, first reported in the   New York
Times, also revealed that the lack of a backup  system meant  that the
records
could not be  reco
<NITF>Seth Kaplan,  a spokesman for the Miami  elections office, said on
Wednesday that a  decision  against making a public announcement at the time
of the
crashes was made because elections officials believed  the data loss  was
merely a record-keeping issue and did  not affect the integrity of  the
elections
-- a  contention disputed by voter advocates who say  statewide  audits are
critical for assessing the performance of  the  mac
<NITF>"There's always a fine line between  speaking  out about things that
are
truly necessary to speak  about  and not unnecessarily alarming the public,"
Kaplan
<NITF>Kaplan said technicians consulted with the  system's  manufacturer --
Elections, Sy&  Software, one of the nation's  largest electronic voting
machine
firms -- on Wednesday and now  believe they may  have found the records of
the
2002 general election  and  some of the records of the primary.
<NITF>Kaplan said  he could not provide the exact  dates of the computer
crashes.  Rodriquez-Tasseff  questioned whether the timing of the crashes --
shortly
after the elections -- may have been part of an effort  to conceal  problems
with the voting mac
<NITF>The revelations about  lost records in Miami  compounded a sense of
anxiety among voters'  rights  groups, some of which are calling for
congressional
and   Justice Department investigations of Florida's  s
<NITF>"It  is becoming more and more clear every day  -- one obstacle after
another, one mismanagement after  another -- that Florida's secretary  of
state's
office  cannot manage its election," said Sharon Lettman,  deputy  national
field director of People for the American Way,  a  liberal advocacy group
based
in Washi
<NITF>Florida  elections officials responded to the  data loss in Miami with
criticism  of the critics. "I  think it is unfair for the different groups to
try  to  erode voter confidence," said Alia Faraj, a spokeswoman  for
Florida
Secretary of State Glenda E.
<NITF>The rift  between the administration of Gov. Jeb  Bush (R) and voters'
rights  groups has grown as the Aug.  31 U.S. Senate primary approaches.
Advocacy groups --  including the American Civil Liberties Union,  Common
Cause and
People for the American Way -- are asking a   Tallahassee judge to step in
before the primary and  override Bush's  decision not to allow manual
recounts in
the 15 Florida counties that  have touch-screen voting  mac
<NITF>Florida ACLU Executive  Director Howard Simon  said there is no way of
knowing how the machines  would  perform in a close election if recounts are
not
allowed.
<NITF>George Waas, an attorney for the  secretary of  state's office, said
the
machines are immune from  the  "under-votes and over-votes" that occurred in
previous   elections when punch-card ballots were used. He called  the
concerns
raised by Simon and others "a parade of  horri
<NITF>"It's what we call 'the sky is falling'  syndrome," Waas  said. "The
sky
is not fal
<NITF>Looming over the  manual recount confrontations  is the residue of
months of bitterness  over the state's  flawed list of felons purged from the
voting
rolls,  which Bush was pressured into dropping after revelations   that it
contained the names of thousands of felons --  including a high  percentage
of
African Americans --  whose voting rights had been  restored. While the state

list will no longer be used, the ACLU and  others are  still pressing for
reforms
at the local level, where   they believe many felons have not been given
enough
information about how to  regain voting  privi
<NITF>"It is a real atrocity that  Florida's elected  officials are not going
out of their way to  reassure  voters and all of America that Florida has its
act   together," Lettman said. "Democracy is in question in  the state of
Flo
© 2004 The Washington Post  Company
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: voter turn-out
Date: 7/29/2004 1:54:17 PM Central Daylight Time  From:  _JulieReneB@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:JulieReneB@xxxxxxx)   To:  _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent  on:

<<That's also why the Republicans purged   the Florida voter rolls of  some
60,000 Blacks, in
order to  steal  the 2000  election.>>
Those voters purged because of  felony   (or alleged felony) records are
still
not allowed voting  status.   It's  still a huge 2004 issue.
_Jeb's  defiance makes  case for automatic clemency_
(http://www.palmbeachpost.com/opinion/content/auto/epaper/editions/thursday/op
inion_1480230145bdb0e300e7
.html)

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========    Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: voter turn-out
Date: 7/29/2004  1:45:49 PM  Central Daylight Time  From:
_andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  Saying that low voter turnout is the result  of a concerted  effort
>  sounds a little too much like some sort of   conspiracy  theory.

Actually, this is true. The Republican party  wants low   voter turnout. The
most frequent
voters are elderly  and homeowners, and  they  tend to vote Republican.

Infrequent  voters (or casual voters)  tend to  vote Democrate or
non-aligned.
Thus they aren't
easy  to  control.

That's why the  Republicans have fought strongly  against  automatic
registration  (simply allow
everyone to vote,  instead of requiring  them to  register first, as most
countries do),  easy
registration (such  as  automatic registration with a driver's  license), and
so  on.

The  Republicans have also built a core  group of Christian  fundementalists
who can  control a
vote on the  local  elections. Voter turnout for those is often under  15%. A
few   Baptist
churches can control school boards, county commissions,  and  so  on.

That's also why the Republicans purged the Florida voter  rolls   of some
60,000 Blacks, in
order to steal the 2000  election. Blacks tend  to  vote 90% Democrat,
therefore by  removing
60,000 votes, they gave  Bush a  plausible chance. The  fewer voting Blacks,
the better for    the
Republicans.

The US would vote solidly Democrat if (IF!)   everyone  were obligated to
vote.
Young people,
urban, suburban,  and  minorities are the  vast majority, and they would vote

Democrat. That  is
the big danger for the   Republicans.

Therefore Republicans  have done everything possible to  make  it difficult
vote, to  reduce
turnout, and so on. This  also includes  disgusting the voters  over the
political process.  The
more disgusting  politics becomes,  the less people will care  and the less
they will    vote.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

To    change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation   on/off,
digest  on/off), visit   www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html