[lit-ideas] Re: One Wittgenstein Too Many

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 19:37:01 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 3/1/2013 3:22:17 P.M. UTC-02,  donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes: interesting things about the show/say unity in  Wittgenstein's
thought.

Hence the motto, "one Wittgenstein too many".

-- as a reply to those who posit a first Witters and a second Witters. "I
agree with the bulk of your argument, but my answer would be that to say
that  there are two Wittgensteins is to fall in the trap that the motto "One
Wittgenstein too many" intends to remedy.

Plus, it is offensive to Carolyne*.

Cheers,

*Carolyne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein (February 8, 1819 – March 9, 1887) was a
Polish noblewoman who pursued a 40-year liaison/relationship with Franz Liszt.
 She was also an amateur journalist and essayist and it is conjectured that
she  did much of the actual writing of several of Liszt's publications,
especially  his Life of Chopin. She pursued an enormous correspondence with
Liszt and many  others which is of vital historical interest. She admired and
encouraged Hector  Berlioz, as is clear from their extensive correspondence.
Berlioz dedicated Les  Troyens to Princess Carolyne. She was portrayed by
Capucine in the 1960 film  Song Without End.