[lit-ideas] Re: On the matter of limits

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 21:02:14 +0200

On 3. Mai 2007, at 20:08, Edward Gleason wrote:

For what it is worth, I would like to ask to have the 3 e-mail a day limit rescinded.

The conversation threads on this list-serve are so interesting (generally) that such an arbitrary rule serves only to interrupt the flow.

The rule is not arbitrary (see below). I'd like to 'interrupt the flow' only so that I - despite my busy schedule - could get a word in edgewise.

Getting rid of that rule would be a great triumph of democracy...

How so? The rule (among other things) fosters a sort of equality: those of us with less time to devote to phil-lit than others are not left behind - or out - by those with a more generous share of resources. Leaving members out of discussion is surely not very democratic, is it?

But I see that the issue is of little or no concern to other members, so will not harp on it, but remain watching (or rather, listening) from the sidelines until perhaps I have enough time and energy to participate in the conversation at the pace at which it flows without a three-postings-a-day limit.

Cheers,
Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany