[lit-ideas] Re: On the Prose Peck/Stirling

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:26:52 -0700

On Sep 7, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

Parody doesn't count. Nor does sniping. If Lawrence is an ex-Marine and Steve a vagabond, for example, neither should refer to the other as "old Leatherneck" or "amoral bum."

Only David Ritchie is allowed to insult people, and then only by acrostic.

Sound like a plan?

Insulting people, even in prophesy and with leaves from the Sibyl (see Wikipedia on "acrostic"), is a stretch for my persona, which saves ire like a senior management parking spot; it's reserved for deans only.

Erin should be sure to climb the Wallace monument and take a gander at William's sword. My reading of the scholarship on the subject says this could not possibly have been Wallace's sword--Wallace pre-dates the earliest example of this type of sword by about two hundred years--but don't bother trying to tell anyone the facts; the force of myth in the tower...and a' that. Skip the brewery further up the valley, on the road to Perth. Horrible beer.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon