[lit-ideas] Re: On a Roll

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:11:47 -0400

<<My only direct experience of a car wreck is a slow-motion sideways
slide down an icy mountain in a blizzard. Plenty of time to prepare as
the vehicle slowly spun its way downhill to ram into parked cars in
the town at the bottom of the mountain. Nothing so sudden and terribly
shocking. Or at such high speeds!>>

Time to be afraid!  How many Our Fathers can you get in on such a
slide?  Sounds awful.  Did you manage to escape unscathed?  People
will drive on ice.....  Jim wants to know if at some point you were
tempted to leap from the car before the actual impact.
______

No. It was a very serene, agnostic, one could almost say Apollonian,
crash. It was snowing heavily, a soundless white blanket deepening
with thick flakes. The car, a '68 Chevy Impala, began to spin just
after the mountain crest and the driver tried to control the spin,
putting the car in neutral, pumping the brakes, first gear, second
gear, steering with the spin, steering against the spin, applying the
brakes rhythmically--as the car slid downhill.

"We're going to crash."
"Yeah we are."
"Seat belts on?"
"Yes."
"I think we're going to hit those cars."
"Looks like it."

After sideswiping a half dozen parked cars, the car spun to a stop in
the town square. Then we had to knock on doors to find the police. We
had to wake the police. He was sleeping.