[lit-ideas] Re: On Copenhagening the German Fleet

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:58:39 -0600

On Copenhagening the German FleetLH:
>>Before posting this I took a look at my inbox and found a posting from Geary.
>> He left the title "Problem solving and war," and then wrote on something
>>entirely different - something he'd rather talk about than the subject.  Can
>>he relate it back to Mitchum's speech at the end of Anzio?  No, of course
>>not.<<

Oh bother!  Lawrence, when people say "war solves nothing" what they are saying
is that war doesn't solve the problem of war -- in fact, it abets it.  Of all
the evils facing mankind (evil meaning: mankind caused) war is the most evil.
Injustice -- especially as it is often a cause of war -- is a contender for
most evil trophy, but it can't hold a candle to the evil that war is.  I don't
know if the slogan "The War To End All Wars" was laughed at in its time, but it
certainly should have been.  Only the rejection of all wars can end war.  Your
-- and the culture's -- valorization of war and heroism and military honor seem
to me to be guarantors of more war.  Get with the program, Lawrence, embrace
peace.

Mike Geary
Memphis