[lit-ideas] Omar's Islamism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:21:19 -0800

Omar,

You've called yourself Islamist, but I wonder if you fit any definition I've
run across.  I mentioned reading Raymond William Baker's Islam Without Fear,
Egypt and the New Islamists.  The Islamists Baker is fond of are
intellectuals of some note.  They diverge from the Old Islamists in that
they are not advocates of violence and while they believe in adhering to the
Koran much as those who invoke the Sharia, they don't hold to the Salafist
interpretations of the Koran and Haddiths and so don't embrace such
troubling doctrines as Qutb's view on the Jihad.

The New Islamists share the Old Islamists view on Palestine and Israel.
They would probably like to see the Jews out of there, but would settle for
a divided state. Here they would eventually diverge from the Old Islamists
who would never settle for a divided state.  Sunni Islamists following Qutb
believe that no land conquered by Mohammad and his followers can ever be
accepted as belonging to infidels.  This applies not only to Israel but also
Andalusia.  And beyond that, it is the duty of Islamists to engage in Jihad
as necessary to conquer the entire world for Allah.  Where do you stand on
these matters, Omar?

In regard to conquering the world for Allah, there is a parallel with
Christian Postmillennialism.  That view of eschatology (which the majority
of Christians don't hold to, but some do) holds that the entire world will
eventually be converted (through the work of evangelism and the Holy Spirit)
to Christianity.  I would be content if the followers of Qutb would content
themselves with accomplishing their eschaton by the same peaceful means, but
they advocate a Holy War and prescribe violence as a legitimate means for
accomplishing their goal.

And where do you stand on Pluralism?  I would be quite content to have you
be an Islamist as long as you would be content for me to be whatever I like.
The Islamists I'm familiar with are not pluralists.  I must be a Muslim and
adhere to the Sharia else I am an infidel and deserve to be killed.  Nay,
more than that, I ought to be killed.  If you were to hold to that Islamist
position, you will pardon me if I don't want you living next door to me.

Do you believe suicide bombers are martyrs and will go to heaven?

Attaturk insisted that Turkey be pluralistic, and so it is - sort of.
Though Turkey is officially pluralistic there has been a hankering after the
Islamist view of the Sharia such that the military has needed to step in and
bring the country back to Attaturk's standards from time to time.

Then there is the matter of economics.  Mohammad's economic system doesn't
compete well with modern Western economies.  Thus Islamic nations which do
want to get along with modern economies have needed to find ways around
Mohammad's strictness, and have.  Strict Islamist Mullahs criticize such
deviations, but it seems clear that a strict adherence to the Sharia by a
nation will prevent it from competing with modern Western nations.  Do you
believe in such a strict adherence?

There is also the matter of women's rights under the Sharia.  Do you believe
they should have rights equal to men?  Should they be able to compete with
men in the work force on an equal basis?

Do you believe Salman Rushdie and Orhan Pamuk should be subject to legal
action for their writings?

Lawrence