[lit-ideas] Re: Obligations

  • From: david ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 20:48:06 -0800

On Dec 24, 2015, at 8:10 PM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

John, Sherrie, Ed, Ursula, et al

Thanks.

I'm living now as a hermit, spending my time much as I did today -- as in the
last 41 photos of https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Dec-2015/
<https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Dec-2015/>

I have been giving some thought recently to how much company is good.
Generally in married life company comes like storms on the ocean; from time to
time there’s a buffet. I feel that what the computer geeks call the default
position of many introverted men is what Garrison Keillor describes as the
Norwegian Bachelor Farmer. What I like about Garrison Keillor is he doesn’t
dismiss this as a way of living. If it’s right enough for old lions, why not
men?

There are alternatives. I heard an annoying piece recently on a cooking show.
Somehow a psychologist, or similar, had made his way on, and he described all
people becoming happier by “being connected” and volunteering. Let the record
show that like you, I have volunteered. And as Socrates no doubt pointed out,
like work or tennis or chocolate, volunteering is not guaranteed to make anyone
happy.

Which path would I choose if I were suddenly alone? I have no idea.

May the one that you take, prove good.

Merry everything to all,

David Ritchie,
Portland Oregon