[lit-ideas] Nussbaum Does It Again

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:59:32 EDT

In a message dated 3/24/2008 6:50:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:

That  there might be other ways of
being precise, other conceptions of lucidity  and completeness that might
be held to be more appropriate for ethical  thought—this was, on the
whole, neither asserted or even  denied.'

—Martha Nussbaum, ‘Form and Content: Philosophy and  Literature,’ in her
collection Love’s Knowledge,  1990.

-----

Hi, Robert,

I'm cc-ing, because Andreas and Teemu don't seem to be forwarding my  posts
to Lit-Ideas.

In any case, I liked the passage by Nussbaum.

But what she is into? (or What is she into?, if you must)

Strictly, what is more appropriate for ethical THOUGHT is ethical ACTION!
Not literary prose!

I'm reading Thomas's Loeb -- "Mathematical Thought" -- from Thales to
Euclid, and from what's his name to Pappus.
What magnificent prose, Euclides has!

I suppose Nussbaum knows what she is doing, because she's done classics,  but
has she read Euclid, in the vernacular?
Also, shouldn't it be Love's _Wisdom_, which doesn't make sense,
incidentally. "Episteme" sounds so restricting!

Cheers,

JL

Home.