[lit-ideas] Noticing TS Eliot in passing

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas " <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:56:15 -0800

            The philosopher Eliot wondered if he dared

            At an age when I chose to join the Marines,

            Neither the subject of modern poetry

            One would think perhaps but decisively

            Present in the hand that brandished the pen

            Regardless of the consequences.

            Perhaps it's a matter of muscled

            Stamina or the withheld strength

            Of his mother.  Mine though strong