[lit-ideas] Re: Not Imagining Sex

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:14:00 -0700

So here's some fun for those of you who are busy not imagining sex, also those who are not... when you're done. I find footytube fun, partly for the highlights it shows, but also because sometimes you see something like the Faroe Islands, autonomous province of Denmark, (I'm sure you knew that) getting their first win in umpteen years, and you note that all two hundred quasi-viking supporters are ecstatic. If you feel up to the challenge, you should watch Mexico play Honduras and Liechtenstein play Finland. I think you'll hear, in two different languages, the desire to make every small sport move into a momentous event, also a wonderful and infectious sense of "we're in with a chance." Some day soccer will catch up with tennis and American Football, have challengeable calls, and some African national team will shrug off the corruption that everyone in the civilized world used to regard as the norm, and win.

David Ritchie,
winding down from a good night of tennis in
Portland, Oregon