[lit-ideas] Re: News You Can't Use

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:22:04 -0700

I have been reading today's newspapers.  I learned that Virgin trains, made
by Bombardier, a Canadian company, were discovered yesterday to leak gas
into electrical panels and, well, explode...just a bit.  The problem has
been fixed and a spokesperson said Virgin will "press Bombardier" for an
explanation of the flaw.

The Gribbles, a hardscrabble pioneer Oregon family, gathered at their own
cemetery on Gribble Prairie, off Gribble Road, near Gribble Creek and just a
bit away from Gribble Barn.  The first person to be buried in the cemetery
was a Fish, Evaline Fish, granddaughter of Oregon Trail pioneers, John and
Elizabeth Gribble.  Now that the cemetery has been in use for 150 years, it
holds a fair number of Gribbles and others.

In Coos and Curry counties residents are warned not to use a spotted purple
rust to control an invasive species of blackberry.  The worry is that the
fungus will spread to Oregon's commercial crop.  I quote from the Oregonian
story, "It leaves purple spots on the top of the leaves of Himalayan
blackberry, a nonnative aggressive species that is widespread in Western
Oregon with corresponding yellow pustules underneath the leaves."

A Klamath County man named Kenneth has been arrested for kidnapping.  Mr.
Brown, resident of Bonanza, was snagged following "a botched burglary" at
the home of Ms. Benedict.  You write the headline.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon