[lit-ideas] Negative Polarity (Was: Geary, "I don't speak Polish")

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 23:48:38 EDT

In a message dated 8/7/2004 10:40:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
JL:
> What we need is Geary's list of polar  opposites....

Sorry, I don't speak Polish.

----

Well, I wasn't really asking for _Polish_ polar opposites. Negative  polarity
items are most frequent in English,

        "She don't know sh*t"

rather than the positive poral item that renders nonsenses:

      "She does know sh*t".

-- unless in a specific context.

      "I couldn't sleep a wink."

vs. the positive polarity item, "I could sleep a wink".

It seems that negative polarity is _built_ into the structure of a couple
languages, including English, maybe Polish.

Cheers,

JL