[lit-ideas] Re: Name that Tune

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:56:14 -0800

Some berk who has figured out what Hollywood and women who wore "beauty spots" knows and knew--that it's not the perfectly proportioned body which we love, but rather one that is made more interesting than this by some minor deformity.

Burke is, in my view, a little strange when it comes to stalks and trunks:

How does the slender stalk of the rose agree with the bulky head under which it bends? The great bag hanging to the bill of a pelican, a thing highly useful to this animal, would be likewise as beautiful in our eyes. I need say little on the trunk of the elephant, of such various usefulness, and which is so far from contributing to his beauty.

But then, I like elephants.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon

On Nov 18, 2009, at 11:05 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

Proportion is not the cause of beauty in vegetables