[lit-ideas] Mysteries of Ceres and Bacchus

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:14:24 -0500

In his Phenomonology of Spirit Hegel writes in subsection 109
"With this appeal to universal experience we may be permitted to anticipate how
the case stands in the practical sphere.  In this respect we can tell those who
assert the truth and certainty of reality sense-objects that they should go
back to the most elementary school of wisdom, viz. the ancient Eleusinian
Mysteries of Ceres and Bacchus, and that they have still to learn the secret
meaning of the eating of bread and the drinking of wine.  For he who is
initiated into these Mysteries not only comes to doubt the being of sensuous
things, but to despair of it; in part he brings about the nothingness of such
things himself in his dealings with them, and in part he sees them reduce
themselves to nothingness."

Does anyone (seriously) know what this bit about ancient Eleusinian Mysteries
of Ceres and Bacchus and the secret meaning of the eating of bread and the
drinking of wine is about?  And why in learning this "secret meaning" one comes
to doubt the being of sensuous things and to despair of them?

Erin