[lit-ideas] My First Thesaurus

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:18:26 EST

In a message dated 1/25/2005 2:06:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I cannot  think of another word for  'thesaurus'
Strange that such an  authoritative volume would suddenly fall silent
with respect to  itself.
How about "Synonym Finder" --as in _The Rodale Synonym  Finder_?
And how about synonyms for "synonym"?

-----

Right. Actually, the query about 'thesaurus', I got from The Reader's  Digest
-- and I had seen the 'synonym' query in a Notes and Queries issue of the
Guardian. The OED provides a synonym for 'thesaurus', the Scots expression,
'thesaury':

    1639  SPOTTISWOOD Hist. Ch. Scot. VII. (1677) 517

    His  Uncle..was made Deputy in the Office of Thesaury.

But perhaps this is a different (Scots) legal use, since the other  cites do
not seem to refer to books, at all.

1688 Addr. Sc. Privy C. in  Lond. Gaz. No. 2388/2

They..have got Pay for the Month  of October instant out of Your Majesties
Thesaury.

1708 [see THESAURER].

Cheers,

JL