[lit-ideas] Museums of Tolerance

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:50:38 EDT

We need a "Museum of Tolerance" in every major  city in the U.S......  Has
anyone been to this place in LA?  Know of  similar places elsewhere?

Julie Krueger

_http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper.360/blog/_
(http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/anderson.cooper.360/blog/)

Real life 'Crash' in L.A.

When I first heard about this story, I thought to  myself, "No way can this
be true." These things simply don't happen. However,  despite my natural
skepticism as a journalist, the true facts of this story  couldn't be ignored.

It goes like this: In 1981, a 13-year-old gay  runaway was savagely beaten in
a back alley in West Hollywood, California. The  group behind the attack
specifically targeted homosexuals. After the attack, the  victim's life would
never be the same. He was fearful of being in public places,  even movie
theaters.

Fast forward to 2005. The victim is working at the  Museum of Tolerance in
Los Angeles, a place dedicated to educating the public  about hate. While
there,
he meets a former neo-Nazi skinhead who served time in  prison for attacking
an Iranian couple he thought was Jewish. This man, however,  has undergone a
personal transformation. He now realizes he was stupid for  espousing racist
beliefs and acting on them.

Over lunch, the two start  talking about their life experiences. They quickly
realize they'd met before.  Yes, in that back alley in West Hollywood. After
all these years, the victim and  the perpetrator speak face-to-face. However,
this time they're on the same side,  both trying to accomplish a little bit of
good.

This story is about so  many things -- forgiveness, redemption, love, hate --
all the emotions we as  human beings are capable of having. That two people
could meet like this after  24 years and begin a friendship is astonishing.

I'd like to give a shout  out to CNN Producer Stan Wilson for finding this
incredible story and pushing it  through to air.

Posted By Dan Simon, CNN Correspondent:  10:48 AM