[lit-ideas] "Mother, Who Bore Me" (Benny Hill)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:29:06 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2009 1:25:47 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
and/or gender over all other  ones in
matters pertaining to intellectual achievement and respect for the  moral
equality of personhood. (LIfe is really a beach: Claims made,  accusations
launched, are ultimately opne to critical interrogation. Such are  the
foundations of rationality, morality, education and constitutional
democracy.

-----

I recall I was in Buenos Aires watching the  Bobby Box, The Benny Hill
show. The dubbing was so bad that bits of English  could be detected in the
background.

Then, out of the blue, the Spaniard  in the Works said,

"Madre, que me aburriste"  -- i.e. Mother  who _bored_ me.

Obviously what Benny was saying in English was, "Mother  who bore me". Is
that otiose?

JLS
Author of "Being  Born Not of A Mother" and other horror stories of
Indonesia.

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!