[lit-ideas] More Student Atrocities

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:16:36 -0500

Once again a message from me to the list seems to have gotten lost somewhere.
Here's the message that was returned; I'm going to try to send again:

The following addresses had delivery problems:

lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Persistent Transient Failure: Delivery time expired
        Delivery last attempted at 27 Apr 2004  0:28:29 +0000

Reporting-MTA: dns; comcast.net
Arrival-Date: 27 Apr 2004  0:28:28 +0000

Final-Recipient: rfc822; lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; Persistent Transient Failure: Delivery time expired
Last-Attempt-Date: 27 Apr 2004  0:28:29 +0000

Re: [lit-ideas] "the claps of civilization"
From:
John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:28:16 -0500

To:
lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Very depressing but still fun. To see how far we've sunk, take a look at
a 1932 entrance exam to Chicago Normal College. (A "Normal College" was
a college to turn out teachers.) See:
http://academics.triton.edu/uc/1932test.html .

To see how little has changed, take a look at Mark Twain's ENGLISH AS
SHE IS TAUGHT:

http://academics.triton.edu/uc/files/english.html .

It's almost identical to the San Francisco column; some things don't
change. For example, the "claps" of civilization sounds much like what
one student wrote:

"The only form of government in Greece was a limited monkey."

These kind of mistakes are nothing new; the scary thing is that they
USED to be made by 14 year olds. Now the same mistakes are being made by
20 year olds.