[lit-ideas] Monday Story

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 19:17:29 -0800

At the history of science conference this weekend, they gave the Tom Wolfe
prize for "best dressed presenter" to a historian of astronomy who normally
wears a pocket protector.  He owns one single pair of shoes.  Although he
doesn't care about daily clothing, he evidently loves to dress up.  To put us
in mind of his subject-- William Herschel--he gave the lecture in frock coat
and wig.  I've seen him mount a table after dinner, the better to deliver, in
full baseball gear, a rendition of "Casey at the bat."

Gardening Guy is still around, but now that our furnace has declared itself to
be in need of a pinch runner, or possibly a permanent replacement, the domestic
interior budget will have line-item priority over any and all external outlays.
 Which is to say that the big elbow is about to come Gardening Guy's way.  I
shall perhaps miss things like his views on clothing in professional soccer.
He told me this week that everyone knows about performance-enhancing
pharmaceuticals, but what they don't tell you about are the
performance-reducing ones.  Performance-reducing drugs cause a ton of injuries
in professional soccer.  This is what all the coaches are missing.  It's the
pharmaceuticals...the drugs they put in people's clothing.  They cause players
to pull muscles and stuff.

I said I was surprised to hear this.

He then told me about the telepathy of Mexican goalies.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon