[lit-ideas] Re: Military mercenaries

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:50:19 -0400

Hi,
I had not looked at the Soldier of Fortune magazine in years. (I used to read
it regularly in college <g>. I'm saying--former vigilante in a past life,
that's me. Actually, when I was in college (since i knew I wanted to be a
librarian), I worked in the serials department.? It was one of the most
interesting magazines we subscribed to and I used to have great conversations
with the library's security guard about it (I worked 2-11 pm and there usually
was no one in after 10...)

And, yes--they come and go as they please. LOTS of business out there for that
world.

But--truly. If you read even some of the articles on the hospital project that
Bechtel got, alot of those sorts (ie the subcontractors/mercenaries) didn't
stay after they decided it was not worth it.

2.? And, so, too, I'm saying--? For example, as I passed on, we better hope
that Jordan stays our friend and does not head into Israel.? Blackwater is
training them...

3. I like this question. I would like to know Lawrence's thoughts on it, too.?

4.? Hm...? My ex-brother-in-law is doing some lawyering in New Orleans and will
be visiting in October.? He got bored being an international attorney-type in
England and got intrigued by something there.??I might ask him what he knows
about this when he visits.? Esp might be interesting if they mess up and hit a
tourist and not a poor person from there...

5.? Or if the Islamic extremists get creative and decide to do this...after
all, they could just as easily 'train' at the Blackwater training center (there
was a cool weapons thing there not long ago--we should have had our retreat
there. Lawrence and Andreas would have entertained us with explaining to us how
the weapons all worked.?)

sidenote:? No, please let Lawrence respond to #3, #4 and #5.

Great questions, Andreas, and will keep me occupied for those midnight can't
sleep hours (though I'm not having many--am a victim of my own success in too
many arenas of my life right now...)

I hope others will thoughtfully respond, too.

Best,
Marlena