[lit-ideas] Mickey Spillane

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:55:22 -0700

... has died.

Spillane sold more than 130 million books.

For a time Spillane was one of the most popular authors in the U.S., with seven
titles among
the ten best-selling American books of the 20th century. His first detective novel
was "I,
the Jury" in 1947. He wrote the book in a tent while he built his first house.

Critics hated Spillane's writing. In answer to his critics, Spillane had a few
terse
comments:

"Those big-shot writers could never dig the fact that there are more salted
peanuts consumed
than caviar."

"If the public likes you, you're good."

"I'm the most translated writer in the world, behind Lenin, Tolstoy, Gorki and
Jules Verne.
And they're all dead..."

"I have no fans. You know what I got? Customers. And customers are your
friends."

Website at http://www.interlog.com/~roco/hammer.html

yrs, andreas www.andreas.com