[lit-ideas] Re: Mary Platt Parmele

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 09:38:10 -0700

On Apr 28, 2014, at 7:37 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:

> JL,
>
> You might enjoy some of Parmele's short histories.  She is very much
> interested in the derivation of names, cities, etc.  Unfortunately she
> provides no references.  Here is an example from "Loc 337."  [Kindle does not
> provide page numbers -- or maybe it does but obtainable only with
> difficulty].
>
> "But the succession returned through Matilda, daughter of Henry I. and the
> Saxon princess.  She married Geoffrey, Count of Anjou.  This Geoffrey, called
> 'the handsome,' always wore in his helmet a sprig of the broom-plant of Anjou
> (Plante genista), hence their son, Henry II, of England, was known as Henry
> Plante-a-genet.

Makes me wonder whether my post about plants got through.  I repeat:

On Oregon's 100 worst (nightmare) list, which I understand to be plants that
may soon be coming, are; rock snot, giant hogweed,ovate goatgrass, Japanese
dodder, Paterson's curse, syrian bean-caper.  The most obvious invader here at
present is Scotch broom which, under another name, was the symbol of a royal
house:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytisus_scoparius
"The name of the House of Plantagenet, rulers of England in the Middle Ages,
was derived from common broom, which was then known as "planta genista" in
Latin. The plant was used as a heraldic badge by Geoffrey of Anjou and five
other Plantagenet kings of England as a royal emblem. The "broomscod", or
seed-pod, was the personal emblem of Charles VI of France."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon