[lit-ideas] Re: Market Pricing for Health Care

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:07:46 -0800

John,

Thanks for passing this on. I mentioned Kuttner's book (Everything for Sale) so long ago that it must have been on Phil Lit. It was one of the books we read for Senior Symposium, in whatever year it was. His explanation of why health care by its very nature does not fit a market-driven model is the best analysis of that issue I've ever read. I still commend it to those who drone on about the virtues or vices of various platypus-shaped health insurance schemes. Presidential candidates should be made to debate with Kuttner and not with their opponents over this.

Robert Paul

The second is from Robert Kuttner, who in Everything for Sale: The Virtues and Limits of Markets observes that the distinction between private and public goods is rooted in the fact that private goods offer a genuine choice, individual consumers can take them or leave them. From soft drinks in a vending machine to real estate or hedge funds, freedom of choice does, in fact, drive the competition that market fundamentalists venerate. In contrast, public goods are what are more usually called necessities.