[lit-ideas] Re: Mark Edmundson's The ideal English Major

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:03:40 -0700 (PDT)

________________________________
 From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:20 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Mark Edmundson's The ideal English Major

JL,

I'm not having the same problem with "ideal" that you are.  Back in my day and
even long afterward I heard, many majored in English because they fancied it
was the easiest way to get a degree.  Each class had a few, perhaps more than a
few, of them.  They didn't speak up in class, they didn't wrestle with the
material, and they sought for the most part to be thought invisible.  They were
interested in getting their degree and being done with the subject.  They
weren't interested in living the many lives that Edmundson refers to.

*And then there were also the loud ones who went on to join the military ;)

-----
No virus found in this message.