[lit-ideas] Lust & Löb

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:38:20 EST

>Even though he hopes to get them for less than $24, there are probably  a lot
>more than 350 by now.

--- And that's the good thing about it. Loeb groweth eternally.

They have surpassed the 500, by now, which was celebrated with the
publication of I forget what -- it's in their site.

I think it's a good thing that it's updating, as I hope to see the day when
they publish

PARMENIDES

Other Presocratic fragments,

etc. --- although what they have so far is pretty good, it's good to look
for additions.

--- I don't really 'collect' them in that I will present them to this  public
library which delights in cataloguing things. So they will be more  pleased
say with a copy for

A B C D E ... F

with different authors for each letter,

than, say, the 11 volumes under "P" in PAUSANIAS.

I'm trying to get hold of the earliest volumes in each set, although
sometimes it's later volumes that are more interesting. E.g. PLINY discusses
sculpture in Book 38!

Professionally (if that's the word I hate) I'd be concerned with the
PHILOSOPHY titles, which are quite a bunch.

And I tend to be very symmetrical in my ordering: it's always ONE GREEK and
one ROMAN. I don't want the Swimming Pool Library to look _unbalanced_.

At one time I conceived the idea of collecting only the green (Greek)
volumes, and I may still change my mind! But I'm finding the red (Roman)
volumes
rather funny (at parts). And although red is tackier a colour than the
excellent
 green (They used to do it in leather purple, the Latin ones), it will look
nice  by the Pool!

         -- Providing she does not  splash them as she leaps.

Cheers,

JL
   Speranza

     OPEN APPEAL -- if you, darling lurker, find a  nice
         reasonably priced  SECOND-HAND volume of
         Loeb in that dark corner  of yes, that old bookshop
         that nobody visits, and  you can get it for $3,
         let me have that  number!

J. L. Speranza
                        Custodian/Praefector/Duce
                       The  Swimming Pool Library
                               by the River Plate

                      St. Michæl Hall

                      Calle 58, No. 611
                      La Plata B1900BPY
                      Buenos Aires,
                       The Argentine

-- Talking about "Michael" I read about the origin of the name being Greek,
-- will share when I find details. (Yes, I know it's Hebrew, but there was a
similar Greek name that someone had, and was co-referential).

products.