[lit-ideas] Lucrezia Rapita

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 06:44:47 EDT

Il Ratto del Seraglio

In a message dated  4/24/2009 2:57:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
palma@xxxxxxxx writes:
Withh  all due respect you have no clue.
serraglio is not an Italian word, it is  Turkish
(as in, for those how know football GALATA-SARAIJ

or in any of  the majestic palaces of the Ozman age. Mozart was young but
not dumb

----

Point taken. You'll admit, Italian, that as a masculine noun  singular, it
_is_ Italian.

(Latin seraglium would be  neuter).

Incidentally, I'm trying to learn the aria, in all languages, in  Italian.

There's a nice CD of instrumentals I must get of Mozart arias.  The other
day I ordered by mistake a different CD with tenor INCLUDED and can't  stand
it!

Callas recorded Ratto del Seraglio apparently in Italian, the  only
language in which Mozart shoud be allowed to be played.

Ditto,  There's this majestic, "imagine" aria in "Il Flauto Magico".

Note that  there are quite a few operas with 'rapita' or 'ratto' in the
title.

My  favourite has to be, "The rape of Lucrezia", or Lucrezia rapita, by
what's his  name Britten.

Strawson observed, in "Subject and Predicate in Logic and  Grammar":

"There's an important change of logical  order from "Lucrezia Raped"
and "The Rape of  Lucrezia". The former should be preferred, since the
subject (albeit a very 'passive' one) continues to be "Lucrezia":  'raped'
is something we predicate of the subject  ("Tonio rapitor" would be a
disgusting title for an  opera). In "Il Ratto di Lucrezia", the subject is,
albeit grammatically, if never logically, 'the rape' itself, which as
Donald
Davidson notes ("The logical structure of  action sentences") only
exist in our  imagination."

Cicero discusses in "De legibus" the "Lucrezia rapita"  case: "Since there
were no moral
legislation about rape _then_, we cannot say  that Tonio committed an
'illegal' thing
when he raped  her."

Cheers,

JLS