[lit-ideas] Re: Lit Snit from Nobel Swede Reader

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:34:24 -0400

>>I might have to agree with Eric here. Kind of.

Glad you could do that, Simon. Readers and literary folk are so much a minority population everywhere that it seems vile to promote dissension in their dwindling ranks. Who's next? The insular and disengaged Swiss?

It's also likely there is as much translation purveyed here as on the Continent. For example, in the Strand on Friday, I found a cheap paperback translation of _The Lusiads_ by Luís de Camões. (It was the 1962 Atkinson translation.) So the Shakespeare of the Portuguese is easily available to those Yanks inclined to read him.

A less anecdotal method would be to compare national translations of (non-Nobelist) Proust. There's a new, US translation of Proust on the shelves here, so readers don't have to plod through the English Moncrieff. How many Swedish translations have been published? (Don't know. Just asking.)

One of the Dynamite Prize guys was noted as saying that they picked Carter for the Peace Prize, not so much for Carter's sake, but to annoy Bush. This Lit sniping likely occupies a similar niche on the bashing shelf.

Eric