[lit-ideas] Re: Les Bo[s]ches and Salles

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:20:45 -0800

"Activating the space," is what architects say certain features in rooms will
be doing in the new building.  Asked about windows, one architect said, "There
will be skylights."  I heard resonance from, "There Will Be Blood," but that
movie was of course was about de-activating the space.

The e mail yesterday said we were going to have a celebration to applaud those
who made "the Dean's List."  By contrast, a huge poster said we were to cheer
those on "the Deans List."  I was busy, but since we have only one and one half
deans (the dean and her part time assistant), I'm thinking the ceremony was
brief.

Following this afternoon's exchange of the broken new dishwasher for its even
newer replacement, my wife and I will be, Kenmores, know-it-alls.  Beneath that
arrogant shell, however, we'll reserve an occasional nod of acknowledgement for
les bo[s]ches propres, who made the machine's innards.

I bought a Dyson.  Now I'm considering a memoir about the old days of Kirby.
I'm thinking I could call it, "A Farewell to Bags"...unless you think readers
might expect pantomime and some loss of trousers.  That's an English joke.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland,