[lit-ideas] Re: "King of England"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:05:02 EST

In a message dated 2/20/2005 8:08:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
robert.paul@xxxxxxxx writes:
the  monarch is 'monarch of the United Kingdom', not Englandâ?¦

You might want  to check  out

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page1.asp

---

Thanks. Could not find the specific information. I believe the 'title' is
"Queen (or King)" of "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

(and Commonwealth, etc.).

My point was that it is inaccurate to say she's the Queen of England,
unless, informally it is meant that she _reigns_ over England, which is  true.

Similarly, when Camilla Parker-Bowles becomes the Duchess of Cornwall, she
will 'duchesise' (is that the verb?) over Penzance, but she won't be the
Duchess  _of_ Penzance.

Cheers,

JL