[lit-ideas] Re: Jacksoniana

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:02:24 -0700

You need to see the movie.

On 10/5/2015 11:43 AM, (Redacted sender Jlsperanza for DMARC) wrote:

In a message dated 10/5/2015 12:39:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
here I am again with my mostly Jacksonian opinions. ... I wasn't raised

in the South, the heart of Jacksonianism, but I was raised (the extent that
I had some very intense training and indoctrination) in the Marine Corps.
My Drill Instructor was Staff Sergeant Cathcart. He had a strong Southern
accent."

For the record, we can call Jackson a philosopher. I think there is only

one reference to his theory in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, under
the entry 'Communitarianism'.
"Communitarians who advocate both increased commitment to public affairs

and strengthened ties to the workplace (to the point that it becomes a
psychological community) also face the problem of conflicting commitments.
Michael Sandel, for example, speaks favorable of ‘proud craftsmen’ in the
Jacksonian era and of Louis Brandeis's idea of ‘industrial democracy, in which
workers participated in management and shared responsibilities for running
the business’."
True, the reference is to the Jacksonian era; but as Geary would wonder,

"what would the Jacksonian era be without Jackson?"
Cheers,
Speranza