[lit-ideas] Re: J.S. Bach and Unchained Melody

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 16:17:29 -0700 (PDT)

That very prelude.  The line caught me out of the corner of my ear.  I didn't
think they did a note for note copy, unlike, say, Lover's Concerto by the Toys,
and then later by the Supremes, which ripped off note for note Ana Magdalena
Bach's piece for learning piano, Minuet in G Major:

The Supremes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0uY1z0wi0s

A.M. Bach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKKDXCP2_M

J.S. Bach's downbeats are so strong you can almost dance to his pieces, in my
opinion.  Since it's a slow news night, I thought I'd play the piece by Mozart
that I had once played, after about 3-1/2 years of studying, accurately and at
time, by Mozart, K.545.  It's actually considered an easy piece, it's basically
scales and it repeats quite a bit but it is so beautiful.  I once figured out
that I was hitting a ridiculous number of notes per second (1/16 notes at 120
beats per minute, my math fails me but it's a lot, maybe even 16 per second).
I stopped playing not long after that piece and never went back and couldn't
even think about playing it now.  But you have to hear this exquisite piece.
Below is the first movement.  The andante movement (second movement) is not on
this, I can't find it.  That's very beautiful too and I thought more
difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnz91LnGSD4