[lit-ideas] Re: It's Wednesday, after all

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:55:04 -0800

One day last week our newspaper published a column on weird names.  It taught
me that ones you find yourself are somehow more fun, and that there are an
extraordinary number of odd names out there.  John Train, "Remarkable Names of
Real People" is the source.

Primrose Goo, Sir Basil Smallpiece, Buncha Love, The Rev. Caanan Banana, Mene
Mene Tekel Upharsin Pond, Sugaporn Poopattana, Strangeways Pigg Strangeways,
Tetley Ironside Tetley Jones (of England's Tetley Tea Company), Carlos Restrepo
Restrepo Restrepo de Restrepo, Melissy Dalciny Caldony Yankee-Pankee
Devil-Take-The-Irishman Garrison, Anne Aass, Virginia May Sweatt Strong, Supply
Clapp Thwing...

Positive Wassermann Johnson, Unable to Fornicate (Native American), Larry
Derryberry, Mark Clark Van Ark, I.P. Frilli, I.O. Silver, I.C. Shivers (an
Iceman), Humperdink Fangboner, Baroness Gaby von Bagge of Boo, Charles Adolphe
Faux-Pas Bidet.

And then there were parents named Jackson who called their kids: Appendicitis,
Laryngitis, Meningitis, Peritonitis, Tonsillitis.

Apparently these are from the Oregon DMV database: C. Clinton Biggerstaff
(sounds like P.G.Wodehouse on Hollywood), Jesus A. Colon, Seema Nema, Jotta
Fern Uren, Lenola Urie Thweatt, Leslie Thwingg II, Honey Love Ferguson, Logan
Love Forehand, Violet Love Goodle, Cozy Love Grantom, Beau Breedlove, Anastasia
Love Boffoli, Shakti Love Bulk, Tina Marie Love Faust, Annalee Love, Bethany
Sri Lanka Love, Bona Gaye Love, Letha L. Love, Rollin Love, Willie Bee Love,
Karla Moore Love, Jessica Love Moore, Shauna Love-Boyd.

There, done.

E. Derryberry Biggerstaff-Fangboner III,
née Thwingg,
Professor Pro Tem,