[lit-ideas] It was a dark and stormy night...

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 05:51:32 -0700 (PDT)

...Not.  But it was the middle of the night when the power went out, the best
time to have a power failure no doubt, but waking up into it was like being
in one of those stalactite/stalagmite caves when they turn the lights off.  And
so quiet.  I was reminded of Thomas Hardy and his descriptions of what life was
like for his characters in the villages after the sun went down, without
electricity.  I once wandered around by moonlight during a power failure.
Until then I had never noticed how much ambient light is cast by just houses
having their lights on.  It's really quite beautiful on a moonlit night, but
still not as dark as for Hardy's characters, who had no paved roads to reflect
moon and stars.

It's Friday, I thought maybe some music might be fun.  Starting out with a
classical piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaNgpXCdaOs&feature=related

Moving on to something a bit less cheerful.  This had always been one of my
favorite songs that had been redone by a rock group.  (Apparently the premise
is if the light shines on you, you get released.  It therefore has to be a
relatively new song, of the fossil fuel age at any rate.)  Here's a non-rock
version that is better I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQpw37Tru9k&feature=related

And moving on, or back, in time and place, this really needs to go under the
category of songs turned into other songs.  Very beautiful in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdjYlrvVFNo&feature=related

And ending with a little polka from the celluloid screen, a bit of engineered
corn for breakfast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUuCi4tOvQ8&feature=related

Andy